Air conditioner cleaner: Which one is right for you?
Do you know which is the right cleaner for your air conditioner and how necessary it is?
With the boom in oil and gas many have thought of turning to equipment as a last resort. Indeed, an inverter heating system can prove to be more economical at this stage. However, even the most sophisticated air conditioners need regular cleaning and maintenance to perform at their best.
See how you can clean your air conditioner, but also which is the right cleaner for you.
First of all, let’s make it clear that the cleaning of the filters should be done about once a month to get the maximum performance. However, it also depends on how often you use your air conditioner.
It is not a very difficult process and you can do it without the help of an expert. It is enough to follow the detailed instructions included in the booklet with the instructions for using the air conditioner from the manufacturer.
Of course, before doing work, it is better to unplug the air conditioner.
- Open the air conditioner hood and remove the two filters. Shake outdoors to remove dust and place in a large bowl with warm water and your cleaner of choice and soak well for about an hour.
- Soap them up with a little dishwashing liquid to remove odors and rinse them under running water.
- Leave them in the sun to dry.
- With the same or another cleaner and a slightly damp cloth, wipe the entire surface of the device’s internal unit to remove dust and germs.
- Because dust and mites also get trapped inside your air conditioner and pollute the air when it’s running, he can spray the inside of the air conditioner with a solution of water and vinegar and then run a soul function to clean the inside as well.
- Once the filters are completely dry, you put them back in the air conditioner carefully so that they are applied correctly.
- You close the lid and plug in the air conditioner again.
At this point, let’s see what cleaning options are available.
Soapy water: The option is to make a solution with water and a little soap (e.g. with liquid dishwashing liquid) or a mild cleaner for all surfaces.
Advantages: A mild cleaner is definitely safer for the components and surfaces of the air conditioner, since it will not corrode. A small amount is needed.
Disadvantage: However, the disinfecting ability of soapy water is less than that of bleach, vinegar or some special cleaner.
Vinegar: Next option and most popular is a water and vinegar product. Add half a cup of vinegar to the bowl of hot water.
Advantages: Vinegar is a natural material, friendly both for your health and for the environment, as well as for your air conditioner. It also has a satisfactory disinfecting capacity.
Disadvantage: The surfaces of the air conditioner that have been treated with vinegar need a good rinse, because otherwise the smell of the vinegar remains indelible during its use for a long time.
Chlorine: The favorite cleaner of old housewives, bleach, can also be used to clean the filters, but also the indoor unit of the air conditioner.
Advantages: A minimal amount of bleach, dissolved in water, is enough to neutralize all germs.
Disadvantages: Its strong action can corrode the filters or even the surfaces of the air conditioner. Also, thorough rinsing is required, because its smell is extremely harmful to health. For this use it must be done in moderation and with special care!
Special cleaner: Finally, there are special cleaners on the market designed for this job.
Advantages: They are manufactured in order to offer maximum disinfection and as a result the best operation of the air conditioner. With proper use, it is safe for both health and the machine.
Disadvantage: It requires a lot of attention and you should follow the instructions for its use closely, so as not to cause damage to the air conditioner and your health.
Why is proper and regular cleaning of the air conditioner necessary?
Regular cleaning of your air conditioner maximizes its performance. This results in its strength over time and at the same time you save energy and money.
In fact, in addition to cleaning, an annual maintenance by a specialized coolant is necessary to have a professional result.