Air conditioner cleaner: Which one is right for you?
Do you know which is the right cleaner for your air conditioner and how necessary it is?
With the boom in oil and natural gas many have thought of turning to air conditioning as a necessity.
Indeed, an inverter heating system can prove to be more economical at this stage. However, even the most sophisticated air conditioners need regular cleaning and maintenance to perform at their best.
See how you can clean your air conditioner, but also which is the right cleaner for you.
First of all, let’s clarify how the filters should be cleaned
about once a month for maximum performance. However, it also depends on how often you use your air conditioner.
It is not a very difficult procedure and you can do it without the help of an expert. It is enough to follow the detailed instructions included in the booklet with the instructions for using the air conditioner from the manufacturer.
Of course, before doing any work, it is better to unplug the air conditioner.
- Open the air conditioner hood and remove the two filters. Shake them outside to remove the dust and place them in a large basin with warm water and your cleaner of choice and let them soak for about an hour.
- Soap them up with a little dishwashing liquid to remove odors and rinse them under running water.
- Leave them in the sun to dry.
- With the same or another cleaner and a slightly wet cloth, wipe the entire surface of the device’s internal unit to remove dust and germs.
- Since dust and mites also get trapped inside your air conditioner and pollute the air when it is running, you can spray the inside of the air conditioner with a solution of water and vinegar and then put it on cooling mode to clean the inside as well.
- Once the filters are completely dry, you put them back in the air conditioner carefully so that they fit correctly.
- You close the lid and plug the air conditioner back into the socket. At this point, let’s see what cleaning options are available.
Soapy water. The initial option is to make a solution with water and a little soap (e.g. with liquid dishwashing liquid) or a mild cleaner for all surfaces.
Advantages:: A mild cleaner is definitely safer for air conditioner components and surfaces since it won’t corrode them. A small amount is needed.
Disadvantage: However, the disinfecting ability of soapy water is less than that of bleach, vinegar or some special cleaner.
Vinegar. Next option and most popular is a solution with water and vinegar. Add half a cup of vinegar to the bowl of hot water.
Advantages: Vinegar is a natural material, friendly both to your health and the environment, as well as to your air conditioner. It also has a satisfactory disinfecting capacity.
Disadvantage: Air conditioner surfaces treated with vinegar need a good rinse, because otherwise the smell of vinegar will remain indelible during long-term use.
Chlorine. The favorite cleaner of old housewives, bleach, can also be used to clean the filters, but also the indoor unit of the air conditioner.
Advantages: A minimal amount of bleach, dissolved in water, is enough to neutralize all germs.
Disadvantages: Its strong action can corrode the filters or even the surfaces of the air conditioner. It also requires thorough rinsing, because its smell is extremely harmful to health. For this reason, its use should be done in moderation and with special care!
Special cleaner. Finally, there are also on the market special cleaners designed for this job.
Advantages: They have been manufactured in order to offer maximum disinfection and as a result the best operation of the air conditioner. With proper use, they are safe for both health and the machine.
Disadvantage: It requires a lot of attention and you should follow the instructions for its use closely, so as not to cause damage to the air conditioner and your health.
Why is proper and regular cleaning of the air conditioner necessary? Regular cleaning of your air conditioner maximizes its performance. This has the effect of increasing its durability over time and at the same time you save energy and money.
In fact, in addition to cleaning, an annual maintenance by a specialized coolant is necessary to have a professional result.